Wednesday, May 19, 2010

38 and a half weeks...OR maybe only 37 weeks


Normally I blog right away after our doctor's appointment but I had to take a day or two after our most recent appointment. I was super excited to go, probably the most excited I have been this whole pregnancy because we had recently had an ultrasound and I was anxious to hear all about it. The ultrasound had been rather disappointing because the technician wouldn't tell me anything and didn't even give me a picture at the end. It was so sad, why else do you go but for the picture? Anyway she kept saying your doctor will get a report and tell at your next appointment so I was clearly looking forward to hearing all about our little Goober.

Our appointment was later in the afternoon than normal so Matt wasn't able to make it so I went by myself. It started by me weighing in at a pound and a half lighter then last time. So I lost weight instead of gaining weight this week. I thought this was pretty funny and texted Matt at work with the good news. Well clearly I am not a doctor, because at this point I should not be losing weight. I got a little scolding but told him I didn't do anything different? My weight gain has been so random...no gain, minimal gain, huge gain, then a loss? I eat when I am hungry and don't when I'm not. It definitely isn't from the lack of ice cream I'm eating...that's the one thing I can't say no to, and am taking full advantage of during this tubby time in my life.

The rest of the appointment went well but I didn't get any of the "good news" I was hoping for. The ultrasound showed that our baby is in the 47th percentile which is great, that means size wise we are not the smallest baby or the largest we are right in the middle. My online research has told me that the baby is likely about 6.5 lbs right now. Great news if I was delivering today because it would be nice and small but bad news if I really am hoping to deliver today because it is pretty small and will likely stay snuggled up for a while yet. When they went looking for the baby's heart beat it was also on the opposite side it normally is, which means the baby has enough room to still flip itself all the way over...it's not squished enough yet.

The ultrasound also said that I am likely only 37 weeks pregnant now instead of 38 which to most people sounds like no big deal but to a prego woman this is a travesty. All other checks on the ultrasound we got a perfect score on so the baby looks great. The heartbeat was strong and my blood pressure was great (they took it before they told me I was only 37 weeks prego). The baby has not yet dropped as I had predicted it had, so the sciatica pain I am feeling is in preparation for the drop not the actual drop. Basically I was expecting to go in and have them say any day now and I left with a definite see you next week. Baby Davis is a little to comfy in there and will not be making it's arrival for a little while yet.

So we continue to wait. We are spending as much time together and trying to enjoy our last few weeks of freedom. The one good thing about Baby Davis staying put is that it's a lot easier to take care of inside of me then outside....at least that's what I've been told.

No comments:

Post a Comment